By Ken Hegan for MSN
If you love movies as much as you love Paris, this new app will blow your film buff mind.
Cinemacity lets you jump into your favourite Paris movie scenes.
It’s a free app (available for iPhone, iPad, and Android) that invites you on unusual walking tours throughout Paris. When you arrive at a famous location, you play a movie clip on your own phone to experience Paris as if you’re a character in the film.
As the Cinemacity site explains, the app “geolocates film excerpts throughout Paris, exactly where they were shot. Different cinewalks are available to users, enabling them to discover the city through the lens of cinema.”
It’s a brilliant idea that North American cities should immediately copy.
Here’s how Cinemacity works:
- Download the app from their website. It’s currently available in English, French, and German
- The app supplies you with a detailed map of Paris neighbourhoods. Dotted around this map are various film markers that highlight famous movie scenes. You can tour Paris by following a film, a director, duration of your walk, or by a specific Parisian neighbourhood.
- You can follow scenes from dozens of directors like Bernardo Bertolucci, François Truffaut, Brad Bird, Eric Rohmer, Billy Wilder, and Jean-Pierre Jeunet, and from hundreds of films.
- As you stroll along a cinewalk tour, you’re guided from one geolocated movie clip to another. You can also switch to another cinewalk at any time.
- For example, enter Jean-Luc Godard’s name and click to see where he filmed in Montmartre. Hit return and the app shows you five green markers on a map, all containing scenes from Godard’s classic French New Wave heist film, Band of Outsiders.
- You can even improve on a famous film scene by shooting your own ‘sweded’ version! Much like the revisionist filmmakers in Michel Gondry’s comedy film Be Kind Rewind, use your phone to reshoot classic film moments…right where they were shot! Who knows, maybe your low-budget version of Inglourious Basterds will be even better than Quentin Tarantino’s.
- You can also take a fresh fiction walk. Walking with your phone through a Parisian neighbourhood, you’ll see an original story told in short episodic movie clips. Keep your head up, though…you don’t want to get hit by a speeding car and end up starring in someone else’s snuff film.
C’est trés cool, n’est-ce pas?— Ken Hegan
Read all Ken’s travel stories here
Image courtesy Cinemacity